Sunday, October 10, 2010

Entries #11, 12, 13, 14 and 15

#11____Memory of a Place: Try to imagine a place from your past. Do you have pictures of this place? Describe this place as you remember it. What might a photograph look like of this place if you were to go back and photograph it? What would it look like in the past? What would it look like to you today? Where are you standing in this place? What other items are in this place? What colors do you see? Are there other people or are you alone? Make a “written photograph” of this place using words/description. 

A place from my past that pops into mind is the playground at the apartment complex my family used to live at in Korea.  I don't believe we have any pictures of the playground, but my memory of the place is fairly clear, considering it was over 10 years ago.  I remember the door that lead out to the yard/courtyard of the apartments, the playground near my house was pretty typical.  there was a swing set, some monkey bars, and seesaws, all in a big rectangular sand pit.  If i were to go back and photograph the place, I think the product would be nostalgic and peaceful yet abandoned.  In the past it seemed big and fun, but if i looked at it today, I imagine that it would seem very small, and perhaps a bit sad.  If I were at the place, I would probably either be on the swings, or perhaps sitting in the sand.  I recall making little "toad houses" (what we called them in korean) out of the sand.  I also most vividly recall seeing the place covered in a thin layer of snow.  the colors i see are mostly neutrals, muted silver tones, sand, brown, and some green from the foliage.  I imagine seeing my two best friends at the time, perhaps we'd be sitting together on the swings or playing in the sand....

#12____Memory of a Photograph: Which photograph from your past do you remember most? Describe this photograph. Describe how it makes you feel when you remember/think about this photograph. How have you changed? How has the place in this photograph changed? What would a reenactment of this photograph look like? Would you act or look differently if you reenacted this scene today? 

There is a photo of me playing in a pile of leaves at a park when i was about 3 years old, I remember this photo well because of the genuine feel of the moment that was captured.  Despite having been too young to have any recollection of the image, viewing/thinking about it makes me feel nostalgic.  They say that your "real" personality is more evident in early childhood years because you are free of social inhibitions.  I feel as though i have gone through many changes since the time the photo was taken, but have come full circle and returned to the bright character shown in that photo.  I think a reenactment of the photo today would not involve me sitting in a giant pile of leaves, but rather echoing the feel of the image in a more mature way. 

#13____Human-Made Space: In the past, photographers who were interested in how humans impacted the natural landscape grouped together to form the New Topographics. “"New Topographics" signaled the emergence of a new photographic approach to landscape: romanticization gave way to cooler appraisal, focused on the everyday built environment and more attuned to conceptual concerns of the broader art field.” http://www.lacma.org/art/ExhibTopo.aspx
In addition, at the same time in history artists created (and still do create) “land art” in which they use materials found in the landscape to make sculptures that remain in the landscape. Many of these works now only exist as video recordings and photographic documents.
Pay attention to the number of ways in which you encounter humans’ interaction with nature and the physical land. Write these down. Using these as inspiration, describe an idea for a piece of “land art” that you might create that would be documented by a photograph. Describe an idea for a piece of “land art” that you might make in a man-made landscape that would be documented by a photograph. 

 I think it would be interesting to work with flowing water to create a "land art" piece to be documented by a photograph.  I would consider working with rocks, sticks, and the earth itself to manipulate the way that the water would flow.  Perhaps creating interesting ripples as the water flows, or the shape in which the water would split, maybe both.

#14____Unknown vs. Familiar Space: When photography was invented, it became a way to document and reveal the specific aspects of both familiar and faraway places. Imagine a familiar place. Imagine a faraway place. How would you use photographs to convey the difference? Can you imagine any places that have been “touched” very little by humans? How might you photograph them?

 I would attempt to capture the feel of the location.  Regardless of the subject, i would want the way the place makes me feel to be translated into the image.  The deep sea would be an interesting place to photograph. i think it would be amazing to shoot the environment and animals with a bright spotlight, so the oddities of each organism may be observed clearly.

#15____In-Camera Collage: Collage brings together two or more items that were previously separate. The resulting piece usually visually references the fact that they were once separate entities. Imagine an important place in your past. Imagine an important place in your present. Imagine who you were in both of these past and present places. Describe how you might use a slow shutter speed and/or double exposure to capture two moments in one image that tell a new narrative about these important places and how they relate to who you are and were.

 An important place from my past is the school walls of my elementary school in korea.  I specifically recall it during the fall time when the gingko trees that surrounded were bright yellow.  Sometimes my best friend and i would sit on the top of the wall and talk after school while making little bouquets out of the leaves.  The short time that i lived in korea had a great impact on my life, I cherish those days as a strong connection to my culture.  An important place to me today would be Abercrombie at the meridian mall.  I've been working there for 3 years now, and the day i got this job was the day i finally started to open up, stop being shy and learn to be more confident.  I think it would be interesting to use a double exposure to capture me and my friends sitting on the school wall, and me and my co-workers bumming on the back counter at Abercrombie.  The two could blend together and create a continuous flow that would move from past to present, present to past.

No comments:

Post a Comment