Thursday, September 16, 2010

Assignment 1: Explore

Final image #1
I chose to crop in on the shed and the logs because of the fullness that it gave the subject.  just a little further out from the subject, you could see that there wasn't much else, this image was not shot at a barn though it may appear to be so.  After taking the image, i found that the vertical lines from the shed contrast but balance with the horizontal stacking of the logs. 

Though normally i would define myself as a bit of a minimalist, in taking this photo, i feel that my love for tradition and nature side shows through. The image was taken at my home, and again though the rest of our home is not necessarily "country" style, i feel that this image shows the comfort and safe feeling that I get from my home.  

Others who viewed this image immediately assumed that i had ventured out to a barn of some sort to take the photo.  I hope that the association with barns and countryside also incorporates the association of memory, comfort and simplicity. 

I was told to crop a little off of the side, which i did, and found that the subject was much more interesting.  Another critique that i was given was to consider the perspective of the image, and though i agree that this may have made an interesting shot, shooting from below (as the suggestion went) may have caused the image to be more cluttered and not as balanced.  I feel that perhaps the log to shed ratio may be a bit unbalanced.

I may consider extending this idea of home, and comfort to other areas around my house and perhaps indoors, showing different aspects and feelings that i get from the word "home".

Final Image #2 


I chose to crop the subject off just at the end of the ladder to help the feeling of going off into infinity.  The one end disappears into darkness, while the other end may seem to continue off beyond where the photographer is standing.  

Repetition was naturally found and echoed throughout this composition. First in the rungs of the ladder, and then mirrored at the top in the lines at the roof of the shed.  I believe that this mirroring creates visual harmony, giving the image a balance.

When i went out to take this photo, i kept in mind the idea of leading lines, a basic concept that we were taught in early art classes as far back as middle school.

Some of the critiques that i recieved suggested that i boost up the contrast to make the image more interesting.  Upon doing so, i found a new mystery about the image that causes the view to wonder exactly where this photo was taken, as well as from what angel it was shot. I also like the feeling of eternity that the darkness lent to the image.

Final Image #3

I chose to exclude all other elements of the shed besides the stacked logs and the X.  This framing allows the subject to appear as though it is much larger than it is.  The shed itself is extremly small, however, the cropping causes you to believe that it is a large barn.  I also cropped off all other foliage because of how cluttered it made the image look.

In this image, others immediately saw the repetition of circles in the stacked logs.  I also saw some repetition in the way the plants on the right side echo the criss cross of the X on the barn.  X-like intersections can also be seen between the shapes of the logs, however these are much more subtle "X's".

When this image was taken, i had just discovered the interesting nooks and crannies of the shed.  I walked around the back and found this and like others, immediately took note of the repetition.  I did not decide to crop in on the image immediately however, this shot was found after zooming in and out several times. 

I think this image deals a lot of composition, i find that there is visual harmony in the shapes depicted.  Something that cannot necessarily be found easily until you experiment. 

I see that the subject matter is a bit boring, maybe if there were a person or model involved it would add to the composition and make it much more interesting to view. 

No comments:

Post a Comment